When to Apply Weed and Feed on Your Lawn?
We all want to have a splendid lush and green lawn in front of our home. And it’s a desire of many homeowners to have a lush and beautiful lawn. However, sometimes getting to that goal can be quite complicated. Insects, weeds and so much more can wreak havoc on your green corner, and ruin all your hard work.
But while hard, it’s still not impossible to have a gorgeous lawn – as long as you use weed n feed. It will serve as a fantastic guardian of your green corner, and will keep it fresh and nice!
So today, we’ll teach you all about when to apply weed and feed and how to do it properly.
What Is Weed and Feed and What Types Are There?
Weed and feed is a special type of fertilizer that at the same time nurtures the grass and destroys the weed. There are many different types of weed and feed out there, and before choosing the right one, you have to know about the impact of different types of fertilizers. For example, if you want to know when to weed and feed.it’s important to check if your weed and feed fertilizer are pre-emergent or post-emergent, as those two types have different timing.
As you probably already guessed, pre-emergent types affect only have an effect on the weed’s seed, and won’t be useful if your green corner already has grown weeds. Meanwhile, post-emergent weed n feed types affect already developed weed. And sure, with the proper use, you can combine both types. However, be sure to make a pause between the two applications.
Other than that, you can sometimes find some specialized fertilizers, like a weed and feed for St.Augustine grass, for example.
When to Put Down Weed and Feed?
Of course, the best time for weed and feed depends on the circumstances, like the climate, soil type e.t.c. So there’s really no universal answer.
There are different reasons for having more than one answer to the question of when to apply weed and feed. The climate and weather play the most important part, because, for example, you will apply weed and feed for southern lawns in a different period than for northern lawns. Thus to know when to properly apply weed n seed, you need to check your climate zone.
Considering your location, the soil, and weather, the best time to weed and feed should be when the temperature is around 12°C (53°F) and more. So generally the best time for applying weed and feed in early spring or early autumn. But again, it all depends on whether you live in a colder or warmer region. Finally, don’t forget that you can only apply weed n feed twice a year.
When Not to Apply Weed and Feed?
Naturally, you can’t apply lawn weed and feed during the winter. When the temperatures are below zero weedings and feeding isn’t recommended, because the soil is too hard and can’t absorb the nutrients. Summer is also a not good idea for weeding and feeding because the soil can be too dry for absorbing the nutrients. However, there are some exceptions, for instance with Scotts weed and feed schedule.
- Wear protection clothes: You should have special clothes when applying weed and feed products. And the best way to do it is in a professional suit. However, if you don’t have it/can’t afford it, make sure to wear long sleeves and pants as well as gloves. It would also be useful if you can protect your nose and mouth with a mask.
- Avoid contact with eyes: Eye protection is a must. Wear special goggles or a hat with an additional transparent cloth that covers the face. If chemicals get into your eyes, make sure to immediately wash with lukewarm water for at least 15 minutes.
- Make sure that kids and pets stay away: When applying the weed and feed you must always make sure that both the kids and pets stay away from the lawn during the application process and after that. Other than that, you should monitor them for a couple of days while they are on the lawn. And it’s also important to note that kids should wash their hands every time after spending time on the lawn.
- Take care of the environment: Excessive use of weed and feed products can cause harm to the soil and water in your environment. Thus, make sure to calculate the right quantity of fertilizer for your yard. If you’re having trouble, better to turn for professional help.
- Follow the instructions: Last but not the least, when you’re applying weed and feed you have to follow the instructions precisely. Each product has instructions on how to use it properly, as well as what are some precaution measures. So don’t forget to check the label and pay attention to that!
Tips to Apply Weed & Feed Properly
If you want to learn when to use weed and feed, keep in mind several important tips:
- Measure your lawn: It’s good to know which part of the yard you want to fertilize with weed n feed product. This fact is also useful when you calculate the quantity of fertilizer that is allowed to spread.
- Wait 2-4 days after the mowing: The soil needs time to incorporate the grass cutting. Even if you collect it mechanically, you will always leave something behind. After a little break, the soil will be capable to absorb it again.
- Follow the precise proportions: As we mentioned before – be careful about how much weed and feed you use. Also, make sure not to apply too much of it can use. If you’re having some trouble, we would recommend an electric spreader for applying the fertilizer as an alternative – it’s more precise and will ensure that you don’t use too much of a product.
- Avoid watering for two days after appliance: You need to have a proper density of weeding and feeding granules. Keep in mind that water can alter the density. Hence you should water the lawn for two days after you applied the product. Of course, you should also avoid hot summer days for this kind of fertilization.
Should I Mow Before Weed n Feed?
If doubting what should you do first: mow or apply fertilizer we will explain the proper order of these tasks. Ideally, you should mow the lawn first. After mowing wait for 2 or 3 days so the soil can rest. And only then you can apply the fertilizer. If you do the opposite you won’t gain the best results.
How Long Should You Stay off Lawn After Applying Weed and Feed?
Most of the weed and feed products are safe if you follow the instructions and it doesn’t get in contact with your eyes or mouth. Ideally, to make sure that you stay safe, you shouldn’t go on the lawn for 24h after applying weed and feed. And that especially goes for kids or pets.
When To Water Lawn after Fertilizer Application?
Generally speaking, you shouldn’t water your lawn after applying weed and feed, because the water can disperse the substance disproportionally. Rain and watering may cause that you have a lot of weed and feed granules on one spot and not enough on the other, and like that, you won’t have good results. Thus, check the weather forecast to be sure that after fertilization, it won’t rain for at least 48 hours after you’ve used lawn weed and feed.
We want to remind you that if you want to know when to apply weed and feed products you should take into account all the specifics of your local place: weather condition, soil quality, and common types of weed. If there won’t be any rain, and the temperature is within reccomended range – this would be a good time for applying weed and feed! So make sure to follow instructions, wear protection and don’t forget some after care rules! Keep all this in mind, do weed n weed no more that two times a year and your green corner will always be lush and gorgeous!