Learn Which Zero Turn Mower for Hills to Pick This Season
Often people choose the wrong mower and end up suffering for a long, long time. They pick up the wrong one, mostly due to the lack of knowledge. Most people are not aware of special mowers for hills called zero-turn lawnmowers while some underestimate the importance of such equipment. In this article, we shall educate you about the functions and use of the best zero turn mower for hills.
Top 5 Best Zero Turn Mowers for Hills: Comparison Chart
|Cutting Deck||Power Source||Engine||Max Forward Speed||Weight|
|Ariens 915223 IKON-X||52 inches||Gasoline||23 HP Kawasaki||7 MPH||635 pounds|
|Husqvarna Z254||54 inches||Gasoline||26 HP Kohler||6.5 MPH||640 pounds|
|Husqvarna MZ61||61 inch||Gasoline||24 HP Kawasaki||8 MPH||770 pounds|
|Craftsman Z525||46 inches||Gasoline||23 HP Briggs & Stratton||7 MPH||623 pounds|
|Husqvarna Z254F||54 inches||Gasoline||26 HP Kohler||6.5 MPH||770 pounds|
What Is a Zero Turn Mower?
A zero-turn for hills is a land mower that has a turning radius of zero. Different brands have different designs and different features, with the basic feature being the zero turning radius. Both heavy-duty for commercial use and light ones for homeowner models are available. This machine effectively gets into the tighter parts of your lawn, which is difficult for a regular mower.
How Does a Zero Turn Mower Work?
The best zero turn for hills does not have a steering wheel, instead comes with two levers. These levers control the two motors connected to the rear wheels. If you push the two lever forward, your mower moves forward while it reverses if pulled back. How fast or slow you wanna go is totally your choice and the condition of your lawn.
Standard Riding Mower vs Zero Turn Mower
The points of differences between the two are:
- The pattern of mowing: Riding mowers fail to give a finish as clean as the zero-turn mower because of its full-turning radius. The latter does not leave out even an inch of your lawn irrespective of its plainness, and that is why this kind is the best mower for hills.
- Speed: Zerro-turn mowers have a better speed than its contender.
- Maneuverability: Zero-turn mowers have a tighter turning radius and thus saves a great amount of effort and time of going over a patch that is undone.
- Price: Zero-turn mowers are more expensive.
- Maintenance: Your zero-turn mower will be a little more difficult to maintain than your standard mower.
Factors That Make Up The Best Zero Turn For Hills
The Type and The Style
There are four types:
- Lap-bar: This type is the most common with two levers to steer the mower. They are the best riding lawn mower for hills.
- Steering wheel: This one works just like driving a car with a foot pedal and steering.
- Joystick models: Works just as a joystick works for a game.
- Stand-on mowers: They are mostly used by contractors who are professionals. They are powerful and have two levers.
And as far as style is concerned, they can be either front-deck or mid-deck zero-turn mowers.
Ease of Driving
Since you are going to operate your mower on hilly terrain, pick one which can be controlled easily rather than one with a higher speed and complicated controlling system.
The best ZTR for hills comes with enough built-in safety measurements like roll bar systems and safety belts. Due to these features, a zero-turn is safer than a lawn tractor for hills.
Warranty and Return Policy
According to zero turn mower reviews, buying a mower that does not come with a warranty is a great loss. They are pretty expensive, and thus you must never compromise with quality. Carefully check the warranty period and return policies before you make the payment.
Some of the most useful attachments are:
- Leaf vacuums: They are great for removing the dry, scattered leaves in your lawn
- Snowplow: Snow can be a nuisance in the winters, and a mower that comes with a snow plow is but a savior.
- Bagging system: Wouldn’t it be great if your zero turns came with a bag to collect the grass clipping? Well, the bagging system is just that.
However, additional attachments could take the price a notch higher.
Other Important Factors
Quality Grade of Mower
There are five grades of quality when it comes to zero-turn mowers.
- Industrial grade
- Commercial grade
- Semi-pro grade
- Economy grade
You may pick any of the above-mentioned grades after carefully weighing your needs.
Your Grass Height
If the height of your grass or weed is anywhere between 12 inches to 6 feet tall, you need not get a zero-turn. A good quality rough cut mower will do the job.
Why Is It Important to Determine the Slope Degree
Use a clinometer to determine the slope degree of your property. A clinometer (or inclinometer) is a device that reads the degree of soil slope. Determining the slope degree is very important in deciding which equipment will suit your purpose. A standard zero turn mower is capable of mowing up to a 15-degree slope (mowing greater slopes with all types of riding mowers can be dangerous). Walk-behind mowers can handle 20-degree slopes.
Tips For Maintaining Your ZTR
- Use the right fuel for your ZTR. According to zero turn for hills reviews, using gasoline that has more than 10 percent ethanol content proves to be bad for the machine. Use a fuel stabilizer.
- After using your mower, dry the excess water and keep in under shade or inside the packaging box.
- Keep the deck of your mower clean. If it catches rust once, the entire machine will begin to depreciate at a faster rate.
- A good and quiet lawn mower can be a little tight on the budget but make that investment instead of buying a cheap one and suffering later.
In 2016, more than 90,000 people in the US were treated for injuries caused by lawnmowers. Operating the machine safely is thus very important.
- Wear appropriate footwear when you use your zero turn mower.
- Segregate the stones and pebbles before operating your mower.
- Wear fully covered clothes and a helmet.
- Do not let children play outside while you mow your lawn.
- Avoid pulling it backward.
There is so much more to the research than just being beguiled by some promotional advertisement, isn’t it? All the information we have jotted down will help you in getting the legit best zero-turn for hills 2021. If you carefully follow all the points made above, you are sure to be a satisfied buyer.