Choosing The Best Lawn Mower For 5 Acres In 2021
A well-manicured lawn is one of the best exterior design outlooks you can give your home’s facade. However, a brush hog cannot mow a 5-acre lawn with any level of efficiency, and getting the best lawn mower for 5 acres can be a huge problem.
In this article, we will give you the best tips on the best lawn mower for 5 acres 2021 and give you insights on their use, and show you which type of lawn mower is best with different garden sizes and landscape requirements.
Top 7 Best Lawn Mowers for 5 Acres: Comparison Chart
|Cutting Deck||Power Source||Engine||Max Forward Speed||Max Reverse Speed||Weight|
|Ariens 915223 IKON-X||52 inches||Gas||23 HP Kawasaki||7 MPH||3 MPH||635 pounds|
|Husqvarna YTA24V48||48 inches||Gas||24 HP Briggs & Stratton||7.75 MPH||3 MPH||492 pounds|
|Husqvarna Z254||54 inches||Gas||26 HP Kohler||6.5 MPH||3.5 MPH||640 pounds|
|Ariens 991151||60 inches||Gas||24 HP Kawasaki||8 MPH||4 MPH||855 pounds|
|Simplicity 2691455||42 inches||Gas||23 HP Briggs & Stratton||5.5 MPH||3 MPH||535 pounds|
|Husqvarna MZ61||61 inches||Gas||27 HP Briggs & Stratton||10 MPH||8 MPH||770 pounds|
|Husqvarna Z248F||48 inches||Gas||21.5 HP Kawasaki||6.5 MPH||3.25 MPH||770 pounds|
5 Acre Mower Buyer’s Guide
It takes a lot to buy the best lawn mower for 5 acres. First of all, your needs should take precedence. Other considerations include type, deck size, transmission, and your budget. Truthfully, there is no fit-all mower for 5 acres, but instead you pick what meets your needs and expectations.
Do I need a 5-Acre Lawn Mower?
For homeowners with large gardens, you know that the lawn takes up a large portion of the land. Therefore, it is prudent to keep the best mower for 5 acres in the compound for touching up on your lawn. The lawn is the first impression people get of your house and should be kept neat and well maintained.
Why bother with Acreage for Lawn Mower Choice?
As we have mentioned earlier, a brush hog cannot mow a 5-acre lawn. As such, you will need to get the right tool for the job, and a small tractor for 5 acres is a frontrunner for a big yard. The type of mower you use will depend on the size, landscape, and needs you might have around your yard. The right mower will allow for the maintenance of your garden efficiently and leave it neat.
On the flip side, the wrong one will make your job tough and result in rough and haphazard grass cuts. Therefore, it is not only economical but logical to pick a mower that suits your acreage.
How to Choose the Best Lawn Mower for 5 Acres
Choosing the right mower for 5 acres is not always an easy task. The type of mower you want is mainly dependent on your preferences as well as your budget. While different experts have different opinions on different lawn mowers for 5 acres, we compiled for you the most important features and factors to consider for picking the best lawn mower for 5 acres.
Cutting Deck Size and Cutting width
Cutting deck size shows how much grass gets cut. A riding mower for 5 acres deck size ranges between 28 to 36 inches. For a small tractor for 5 acres, the deck size can go as high as 48 inches. Precisely, tractors with best deck models have a deck size of 54 inches.
Like the deck size, a larger cutting width, which depends on the deck size means you will cover more space in every pass on the grass.
There are three body configuration types for riding mowers for 5 acres: rear engine mowers, lawn tractor, and zero-turn mowers.
- Rear engine mower: It is a configuration of a lawn mower for homelanders with little storage space and rather low budget. It is the best choice for small lawns, as the engine is pretty small. The fuel is located at the back of the mower, and the problem is that when you go up, the front wheels may lose the surface.
- Lawn tractor: The best lawn tractor for 5 acres succeeds where the rear engine fails. They are firmer and tougher, which makes them great for pulling attachments. Also, they have large engines and larger cutting widths. While this lawn mower for 5 acres might seem attractive, it has one problem, it has a low-speed motor. Therefore, if you are after a quick landscaping mower, this might not be the best. However, if you do not mind this, it works just fine.
- Zero-turn mower: The engine is also placed at the back and these mowers have similar problems to rear engine mowers.They ride easily around heels and slopes, but as the fuel is concentrated in the back, have problems with the front wheels. Zero-turn mowers have the largest cutting deck size with the best zero turn mower for 5 acres averaging between 40-60 inches. A wider deck size translates to higher efficiency as your lawn mower can cut more grass and cover more space in less time. Zero-turn mowers are ultimately the best lawn mower for 5 acres. These types of mowers are highly portable, thanks to their 360-turn feature and high speed and high performance. The zero-turn mowers, being the best bet in the market when it comes to lawn mowers for 5 acres, come with a stellar price tag. It is, however, worth every extra dollar because they do not compromise on quality.
When you are after the best zero turn mower for your yard, its engine power is the most important consideration. The power should always be greater than the mower weight. A heavy engine gives your mower more speed and efficiency.
Engine power is measured in two different ways; horsepower and cubic centimeters (cc) number. The higher the horsepower number in a lawn mower, the more powerful its engine. For a mower for 5 acres, its horsepower should be between 10-25HP.
Like horsepower, the higher the cubic centimeters (cc) number, the more powerful the engine. When purchasing a lawn mower for 5 acres, it is best to pay keen interest to this number. A good mower for 5 acres should have anything between 300-800cc.
Transmissions for riding mowers for 5 acres; manual, automatic, and hydrostatic. In this article, we focus more on bringing you affordable mowers for 5 acres, so we will focus on the first two. Hydrostatic transmission mowers tend to be expensive, so we should leave that for later.
- Gear-driven: The manual or gear-driven transmission in a small tractor for 5 acres works the same way as the manual-transmission in cars. In this type of transmission, all the gears are shifted manually. It has a clutch just as a manually driven car and works the same way.
- Automatic: Just like an automatic car transmission, the mower for 5 acres changes the gears for you. This makes these types of mowers very easy to run. They are a bit expensive, but considering how much load of the work is lifted, we still give it an excellent recommendation, and so do hundreds of lawn mower for 5 acres reviews.
Mulching, Bagging & Grass Discharging Options
Mulching is when the chopped up grass is put back to the field to decompose and create fertilizer. When mulching is not desired in that particular landscaping design, bagging captures the grass and weed clippings for disposal or feed or whatever you desire. In case you decide not to bag them, discharge is how these clippings are spread on the field or yard.
High quality mowers for 5 acres have all the three options featured with a single buy. But, for smaller mowers, you will need to buy independent attachments separately to perform these three functions.
Different models of riding mowers come with different types of features to give you the best value for money. The extra features also lighten your landscaping work as well as save you on time. You might put such features into consideration when you are forced to make a choice from two of the best lawn mower for 5 acres. They include:
- Fuel-level monitor: This feature gives you access to your small tractors for 5 acres’ fuel level and will be useful in monitoring its fuel use.
- Landscaping needs: Each riding mower for 5 acres favors a certain type of landscape. For instance, the rear engine mower favors narrow-path yards. When you shop, look out for features that suit your landscape.
- Engine monitor: Some models feature an hour meter that lets you know how long your engine has run. It is useful for keeping a maintenance schedule.
Again, we reiterate that no expert advice is fully efficient. We recommend that you read as many best lawn mowers for 5 acres reviews as possible to get a better insight into choosing the best lawn mower for your garden. If you do not pay attention to what you buy, you will not only end up with a bad experience but also a poorly mowed lawn. There are still more exciting features and lawn mowers being worked daily, and we will keep you updated on what to look for in the best lawn mower for 5 acres 2021.